Little Clarenden St. has always been a bit of a local destination for me – what with the lovely Pierre Victoire, G&Ds, plus NBC Companion all in residence. So the street party they’re holding tomorrow could well be worth a visit.
From noon until 6pm the popular little side road will be offering plenty of special offers and events, hosting music by local musicians, supported by local performing arts. Entertainment will be on offer for the younger visitors to make it a family day out, and a general carnival atmosphere will abound.
The initiative by resident businesses, led by Demijohn owner Angus Furguson, is to show that local retail is thriving and can offer “so much more than soulless shopping centres”. All the Little Clarendon Street businesses approached are participating (some 30 shops or businesses) and offering special one-off tastings, offers and activities.
From delis, bread shops, specialist retailers, cafes and restaurants, to the local charity shop (Sobell House Hospice) and hair salons, every trader will be putting on something special to make the street THE place to be.
Special offers and event on the day:
- Demijohn – product tastings and hourly cocktail demonstration hosted by Angus Ferguson
- George & Davis – mobile ice cream parlour with balloons for the children
- Oxford Wine Company – specialist wine tasting and quiz for bottle of house Champagne
- Oddbins – mini wine fair and tasting
- Natural Bread Company – locally produced bread bar with toasting and tastings
- Moshi – on street dining with their exclusive oriental cuisine
- Olivia May – special hairdressing offer
- Definition Hair – special hairdressing offer
- Mahogany Hair – special hairdressing offer
- Walton & Giles – special hairdressing offer
- Ellie Sanderson – brides in wedding dresses performance
- Sobell House Hospice – 70’s revival fancy dress parade
- Cafe Rouge – special tasting menu with fee samples
- Duke of Cambridge – early opening at noon
- Al Andaluz – special tapas tasting menu
- Central – special 10% promotion off all Fat Boy products and prize draw for a Fat Boy bean bag worth £200
- Clements & Church – special in store discount
- Angels – special cocktail menu
- Acapella choir performance
- Tom Self and Emma-Claire Blythe modern music and contemporary dance performance
- Local Oxford city choir performance
- Live music by Jamie Stewart and his band
- Children’s fun fair
- Stand-up comedy performances by Ruskin Events
- Lively poetry performances Ruskin Events